I imagine little kids inside bubble clusters like these, blowing into beakers of water with straws and getting rather more than they bargained for. In reality, a froghopper or leafhopper nymph is busy sucking up sap and making a bubbly froth with the excess, in order to protect itself from predators, extreme temperature and dehydration.
I really wanted to get a shot of a nymph too, but after a lengthy search, I concluded that they must have all been busy blowing bubbles. However, that evening, as I cleared up in the kitchen, I found one struggling to right itself on the table. It must have hitched a ride home on my clothes. Here it is, on the left, making some new friends.


Cool!! That's fascinating! Awesome pics
ReplyDeleteThanks Tamsyn :D
DeleteGood pictures Omi! I used to call this stuff `cuckoo spit` when I was a kid, still do actually! ;)
ReplyDeleteJ
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES
Thanks John :) Yes, I'd read that it can be called that - charming expression, lol!
DeleteAnother interesting read Omi...a bit of luck finding that tiny nymph at the end of it all too!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jason :) Indeed it was; meant I could make a blog post out of it after all!
DeleteAn interesting post Omi! We always called it 'cuckoo spit' too. Pretty yucky when it inadvertently ends up on an arm or leg!
ReplyDeleteThanks ShySongbird :D One thing I didn't do was reach out and touch it. Perhaps I should, for a thorough research on the subject, lol. I imagine it's quite sticky. I've read it has an acrid taste; but I'm definitely not going so far in my study as to eat any!
Delete